How to install Dash Camera yourself

So, this is a guide on what panels to remove and how will your car look like and where to do what on installing a dash cam and routing the wires.

Some basic tools to have:

• Dash Cam, front and rear recommended.
  • one plastic pry tool, usually comes with the dash cam.
  • plenty of light, whether its natural/torch strapped to your head/flashlight - you will need your both hands free.
  • #14 ratchet wrench
  • flat head screw driver
  • scissors/pliers
  • time
  • patience
  • working brain cells.
  • some courage and confidence that you will break something. but mostly not if you follow the instructions here but I will absolve myself of all responsibilities here.
  • finally some skin and blood sacrifice when required by the DIY gods or the car.

Now that we have our expectations sorted and assuming you have all the tools at the ready, let’s begin by slowly grabbing and pulling away the rubber beading on the driver door. It comes off fairly easily. Do not worry - it’s fine. you can put it back easily.

Now, with the gap created by the removal of the rubber beading, pull away the A Pillar cover.
then remove the two clips (Yellow and white in my case) at the top and bottom using the scissors/pliers - they are really tight so use good force there. even if they break, they are easily available at the service centers and hardly cost Rs. 5-10.

Now, under the driver footwell, the objectives are to remove the triangular shaped cover and the door sill.
There is a plastic screw which looks like a button with a flat head right behind the accelerator pedal. You can turn it with your fingers. It is that easy. Once, that is removed, the panel needs to be removed by pushing it forward near the curve and then upwards.

it is preferred to first position the wire near where the camera is about to be mounted. OR better still, mount the camera and keep tucking the wire into the roof liner using the pry tool. It is very easy to push the wire inside and it’ll hold till you’re at the A Pillar and then drop that wire down into there and it’ll happily get stuck somewhere behind the AC vent. but worry not, pull it out and try again. DO put your hand from below the steering column and try to feel and find the wire behind there.

Now, for the front dash cam, you can route the wire from behind the console like in the image. There’s lot of space there and you can either tuck it there and use the provided 12V USB socket or route it further ahead into the fuse box.

Push the driver seat fully front and using the #14 socket, remove the bolt holding the seatbelt. Yes, it is safe and you will be fine. Finally remove the “T” shaped lower cover which will reveal a crevice from where you should route the rear camera wire out of and under the bolt.

Then, under the rear passenger seat, there’s a button type of a lock. Use a pry tool and remove it and then just like the driver’s seat, remove the door sill and the rubber beading and continue the same at the rear of the vehicle for the quarter panel in the boot.

Gently remove the three plastic screws and pry it open so that your hand can fit and the wire can be routed up through there and into the rubber hose connecting the rear door and the body of the vehicle.

Squeeze and remove the rubber hose and follow the other wires for the dash cam wire to pass through. it will be tight but it’ll go through. Use the method you would use when mending the nada of your payjama.

Finally just pull the rear cover, it’ll come out with some force and it’s very easy to remove the same. Behind which you will find a plastic sheet with black glue.
Carefully pry the plastic sheet open so that there’s sufficient space for you to slide your arm inside and guide the wire to exit out of the black groove right above it.

That black cover needs to be pierced with a scissors or a blade and the hole enlarged to let the wire through.

Now find a proper spot and mount the rear camera, adjust the wire so that it’s not in tension anywhere and put it all back together the same way you pulled it apart.

Congratulations - you just finished a hard part of customizing your car.

4 Likes

I think, 50-60 ℅ things are already covered ajay and really appreciate for that. Pics dont justify the hardness of installation it is…soon I will try to cover it with video so that we can add in this post for vetter understanding

3 Likes

Thanks Ajay for the detailed instructions and pics. How long did the full installation take?

If you’re new - about 3-4 hours. If you know why you’re doing - an hour to 90 minutes.

Thanks Ajay. Quite detailed instructions and anyone with some tools and willing to roll up their sleeves can do it. I hardwired the DashCam to the fuse box and I will try to add those steps too. Thanks once again.

1 Like

Very good. Detailed isntructions.
Will try to install it this week.

Thanks to this thread, today I installed 70mai A500S pro plus dual dashcam.

The A pillar clips were stuck on the pillar and didn’t come out with the trim panel. I tried to pry them out to put it back on the trim, and as expected the orange clip broke, it was too brittle.The white clip came out and I put the panel back using that and it is holding good.

Removing the floor trims and rear door panel wasn’t that difficult. The part where you have to push the cable through the rubber hose on the rear door had me frustrated for a moment, but with persistence it finally came through.

Planning to put a couple of transparent cable management clips near the rear camera where the cable is loosely hanging at present.

I felt the rear camera cable was a little short for proper cable management. But overall a good staisfying DIY.

2 Likes

I have installed the front dashcam only and routed the hardwiring kit via the left A-pillar. There is a ground point in the A-piller itself, and we can avoid prying open other trims. The ground point is marked in the red circle in the attached picture, and you may need to scrape a few painted areas around the bolt.

My hardwiring kit includes Car Cigarette Lighter DC12V Extension Micro Fuse Tap Holder procured a few years ago from Ali Express and the dual USB 12V port included in the Viofo dashcam. Ground can be easily routed to A-pillar ground point under the dashboard via the fuse box area and the whole thing can be hidden neatly under the space near the fuse box under the dashboard.

Regards,
Anoop

1 Like

You don’t require a hardwire kit if you opt for the OBD2 cable, which is plug-and-play. This way, you can reserve your 12V socket for a mobile charger. I’ve been using this setup, and it works perfectly fine, even with parking surveillance enabled.

2 Likes

Ah! This is very useful to know. Thanks for sharing!

Sharing my Dash Cam setup for your reference:

1. The Dash Cam is positioned on the windscreen just behind the rear-view mirror, ensuring no obstruction while driving.
  2. The wires are neatly tucked into the roof lining for a clean appearance.
  3. Using the clipper provided with the Dash Cam, I secured the wire from the roof lining to the A-pillar beading.
  4. The wire then runs from the A-pillar to the sides of the dashboard.
  5. Finally, it connects to the OBD2 Port, leaving your charging port free, while still enabling parking surveillance functionality.

This setup ensures both functionality and a tidy interior.

1 Like