Tyre Options - Pros & Cons

Here’s a short comparison of Apollos and Yokos for 215/75R15 for us. Thanks to @Traveler for reviewing them for over 1 Lakh KMs in harshest of terrain, on and off roads. Below are the summary of his observations and experiences:

Apollo Apterra AT2 Yokohama Geolandars
- On road, better braking performance than Yokos
- 85% Traction of Yokos on off road
- 3/4 cost of Yokos
- Makes small humming sound post 80 on tarmac
- Unconditional warranty for a small fee
- Rs 5800/-
- Better grip than Apollos off-road
- Silent on tarmac, compared to Apollos post 80
- 5 Years unconditional warranty
- Rs 7750/-

On road grip are similar and so are the sidewall quality. They’re pretty much same. If you have the money, basically go for the Yokos. If you are having budget constraints, stick with Apollo.

Prices are approximate and at Bengaluru, so local prices will vary depending on your negotiation skills.

9 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing this , reviving this thread on tyre upgrade.

The stock tyres(195/80 R15 96S Bridgestone Dueler 852 H/L (Mud + Snow)) seem to be extremely capable based on the Media drive videos. Is it really necessary to go for an upgrade? Appreciate thoughts on this.

Would be great if we get A/T tyres of the same size; I wrote to Yokohama, Apollo and Ultramile customer-care to provide this size and got the usual response. Hopefully A/T option would become available soon.

1 Like

Stock can do off-roading like displayed in the media drive. However, you can upgrade to AT to the closest size available. 215/75 or 225/70 at the most. @Traveler can give better idea here but that’s the gist.

Stocks are fine for most purposes but having an A/T will greatly improve the ability of the vehicle to grip the surface so that it can move ahead. That’s basically it.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on Continental Cross Contact AT? The tread pattern is lovely and I felt its very close BF style raised treads.

I know a few Gypsy owners who have installed Continental Cross Contact AT and their feedback was excellent about it but I would take it with a grain of salt since It wasn’t subjected to hardcore off-roading however handling is brilliant as per them which I can concur.

Found this useful study on comparing various A/T tyres. Please check the various facets of the review.

What should be the ideal tyre pressure for 215/75/R15 tyres. I have continental AT tyres.

At present I am keeping 30 psi in my Conti Cross 215/75/R15 tyres. And I think the ride comfort in the vehicle has also become better after changing it.

You could try with 26 and then gruadually increase to about 28. Continental cross contact AT is overall a tough and hard tyre and keeping the pressure around 28 may be more comfortable.

Gents - with many of you having driven the Jimny now across multiple terrains, what is the feedback - is a tyre change a need or are the factory tires (need to check what they give now) good to go with?
As mentioned earlier, the stock tires seems to be capable enough, but these organized drives can be misleading sometimes.

For general everyday city driving and occasional offroad the stock tyres are okay. Highway runs definitely warrant an upgrade as the ride quality and stability improves by leaps and bounds. Out of the two choices 215/75 and 225/70 I prefer the 225/70 anytime.

Hi There,

I will be getting delivery of my vehicle in a week’s time. I am planning to upgrade tyres of my Jimny AT to Apollo Aptera 225/70/R15. I have 2 specific questions here for someone who can help:

1. What should be the overall impact on ride quality & mileage?
  2. Will this tyre upgrade void warranty/insurance, do we have some guidelines regarding this?

Thanks!

Many of us including me have Apollo Apterra AT2 , 225/70 R15. I have driven around 8k kms on them including our Umling-La expedition. I find the tyres to be the best in terms of road holding, comfort and even offroad.

These are also the closest to stock size in terms of overall diameter and therefore do not upset the car’s speedometer and the pickup and automatic gear changing points.

I have been consistently getting 14+ on highways and I am a fast driver. In city I get around 10 kmpl.

Regarding warranty, this is a subjective topic and a lot depends on your relationship with your dealer. I have seen warranty being denied for the smallest of reasons and also being honoured inspite of having major modifications being done.

There is noticeable difference between 215/75 R15 and 225/70 R15 where the 225/70 R15 offers much better high speed stability and this has been tols to me by my friends who have the 215/75 R15.

The only disadvantage of 225/70 R15 is that steering is a bit heavy when parking the car.

Do join our Telegram group also. You will get instant answers there as well as you can find answers to almost every topic easily by searching the group.

Our Telegram On-boarding group is at Telegram: Contact @simplyjimny

1 Like