Wheel alignment data for Maruti Suzuki Jimny

Hi. Peculiar problem in the ownership experience of a month old Jimny - neither Maruti Authorised Service, nor external tyre shops, seem to have the alignment data for the new Jimny, at least in Noida.
My car seems to be running ever slightly to the right and the steering too is slightly off center to the right. Yet, two visits to separate Maruti ASC and a couple of third party wheel balancers came up with the same frustrating answer - no data for Jimny. Anyone else face this?
It’s also pretty clear to me by now that Maruti has under-trained their technicians on the Jimny so far and most workshops are completely unfamiliar with this vehicle’s specific needs, over and beyond what MUL has been churning out over the last two decades. I hope they catch up soon, else thousands of new owners are in for a bad experience once their cars get a bit thumped around.

2 Likes

The local Nexa dealer here in Yelahanka, Bangalore has received the alignment data. I will be going to visit them in a couple of days and will bring back the printout with the alignment data for you.

1 Like

Thank you! Relief to learn that the data has started trickling in at the ASC’s. Incidentally, alignment data for the global SWB Jimny is available with a bit of search online. Do you suppose these will be suitable for our own LWB Jimny?

It should be the same AFAIK, will confirm in a couple of days, just not getting time to visit the ASC

1 Like

1 Like

Found on the net. May not be true for present Indian model.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m at the third Maruti ASC now on the same job, and even with Jimny data present in their machine, they’re having a hard time getting the job done. When I showed him these specs, they said these should be more accurate but they need to update the software to gain new data. Waiting…
Will update in this forum once the job is completed successfully.

Over a week trying to get solutions from Maruti, no improvement. The matter has now been escalated to ‘factory’ level and I have been promised intervention soonest. Imagine - just a case of wheel alignment!

1 Like

Finally we have the official Wheel Alignment Specs for the Jimny Available. Thanks to @DrKumar who was kind enough to post the Alignement data sheet on our Telegram Group,

I am posting it here on his behalf.

Also it seems that the Alignment data is same as the International 3 Door Jimny which was posted earlier by @mailsarkar

Also for Folks who are facing issues related to the Steering wheel not being centered properly even after proper alignment and if the car is still pulling to the left or right, the culprit usually is the Steering Angle Sensor. The SAS as it is called needs to reset to 0 after each alignment and workshops rarely do that. However if you are facing problem ask them to check and reset the SAS to 0 after the alignment.

3 Likes

That’s great information. My problem with wheel alignment and steering angle continues, into the second week since the complaint registered. Today, the Maruti guys took another set of photos to scratch their heads over. They also informed me that there are several Jimny’s waiting at the workshops with the exact same issue.
I will go to them armed with this info now :+1:t3:

Hi. Is it possible to reconfirm which Maruti ASC this data came out of?

1 Like

@DrKumarPabbathi can share the name of the Nexa Service station in Hyderabad where he got it done.

Ping him on Telegram group

1 Like

Hello
This data is from Jayabheri Nexa,Hyderabad

1 Like

Thank you for the information Dr. Kumar. Today, folks from Maruti Quality Assurance (?) have called my car to a workshop in Noida, to inspect the problem. Let’s see what’s in store with that.
Incidentally, I was at a different NEXA workshop yesterday to try my luck and guess what? At end of 3 hrs, it just solidified my suspicion that they really don’t know much about the under-belly mechanics of the Jimny. Couldn’t figure out which way the adjustment bolts turned on the connecting rod, ended up jamming it with incorrect torque and tried hammering it loose to my abject horror! I barely managed to collect my poor car under my arms and run away.
By now, I’m quite certain there will be a pretty steep learning curve with the Jimny for Maruti ground staff and cause users like me to lose hair for a good year or more.

1 Like

I went to Chandigarh to change the stock tyres. The package included wheel balancing and wheel alight. I asked him to show me the software for Jimny. He didn’t have. He had already changed tyres of approximately 50 Jimmys and alignment without software but I didn’t agree. I forced him to get the software. Next day did the alignment with proper software.

2 Likes

So far, experience dictates that the wheel alignment on a Jimny will remain a hit or miss affair for the foreseeable future, until the market in general and Maruti service in particular, gather the skills to fine tune the concept of adjusting rigid axles. 99% of road vehicles today have moved away from this system and the technicians have simply lost this particular skill save a handful who still get to attend these in isolated pockets.
Last week, a team of 5 (no less) personnel from Maruti HQ, Factory and Quality Assurance, worked below my Jimny for 5 hours and handed me back the car without the fault being 100% rectified. The steering is still very slightly ‘off’ and there’s still an imperceptible veer to the left with hands off the wheel. Can live with it for the moment and will wait for more knowledge to filter through the market before I’m able to set it right I guess.
Ironically, this I’m facing in Maruti’s backyard. I can only imagine the travails of Jimny’s in other regions being happily bashed around off road. Give it three more months and I’m guessing the social media would be choked with this complaint, unless the market catches up. Oh well…

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your experience. Have the MSIL guys shared the root cause analysis’s with you. What seems to be the problem. Aligning fixed axle cars is no rocket science. There are only three parameters that need to be set for alignment in any car, fixed axle or otherwise. Camber, Caster and Toe. In the Jimny the caster and camber are fixed so it’s only toe that needs to be adjusted.

Where exactly is the problem in your car, did they say or share any details. Veering to the left or right can be caused by camber or caster or even both. Since these are not adjustable how did they fix or attempt to fix the issue. If they are overcompensating with toe adjustment then the tyres we’ll wear our faster so that’s is not an option. Did they even check or reset the Steering Angle Sensor?

Please try to get more information on where the root problem lies as per their analysis and press for a full resolution irrespective of what they need to replace.

I will look forward to hearing back from you with more details on their analysis.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed explanation! I’ll take this up with them for sure once I return from my road trip. As for this ‘factory team’ explaining the root cause - they pure and simple avoided interacting with the customer and kept the TSM in between as a layer. Frankly, I was completely thrown by such opacity and am starting to smell a rat in the matter. No worries - vehicle is under warranty and if things get worse after the trip, I will simply press for warranty and have sounded them off as such.
I had the same question of course - wheel alignment was never rocket science and usually completed in any car in 15 minutes or less.

Looks like the alignment numbers are updated.

Finally got the alignment in line. Here’s the actual process to follow and get it right the first time:

• set the vehicle on the machine and keep it switched on.
  • get an OBD tool or laptop and ensure the steering is 0. This is a live reading.
  • using the steering lock tool, lock the steering wheel to ensure no movement of steering wheel occurs when making the adjustments.
  • now switch off the vehicle.
  • do the adjustments - only toe is adjusted.
  • rear rod is for right wheel
  • front rod is for left wheel
  • the driver side of the nuts rotate counter clock wise to loosen and the co-driver side rotated clock wise to loosen.
  • adjust them and tighten up all four nuts.
  • come back up and check using OBD whether the steering is still on 0 - these are live readings. Vehicle must NOW be switched on.

VEHICLE SHOULD NOT BE ON WHEN ADJUSTING THE TOE. IT WILL GO OUT OF BALANCE AND CONFUSE THE STEERING ON WHAT IS 0/STRAIGHT IS AND YOUR VEHICLE WILL PULL LEFT OR RIGHT.

1 Like